Saturday, October 19, 2013

What I Learned about My Art from the Bob Dylan Picture Book!



Sitting in the library today with two of my boys at Pokemon club (awesome!) and saw this one on the shelf. What a fun biographical picture book!  It is pretty much the Bob Dylan story as told through his lyrics. I learn so much every time I pic up someone's book!  It is funny.  I was raised in an environment where your art was perfect realism, or it wasn't "good" art. How sad!  Everytime I pic up a picture book I realize how wonderful non-realism is. In my own work, I constantly have to fight the "realism is the only good art" demon. I haven't done art my whole life because I thought it had to be a perfect representation of the real world. Then I discovered picture books. What a reawakening to the art world! Loved the art in this one. The colors are cool and really help you feel the time period. And, I loved that at the end of the book you get a hyper-focused explanation of each illustration which sheds so much light on the artistic decisions, and Dylan's life. Soooo cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment